23.5.12

Mitchell Morton ~ Artist

Mitchell Morton, artist, a native of Onslow County, conveys a bit of an old sailor’s image – wise, pensive.  His coastal lore becomes more pronounced as you engage him in conversation.  “I love to see, smell, and savor the coastal areas.  There’s nothing that quite compares to the smell of an ocean wind or the rustle of the marsh grass on a windy day.”

“Art, to me,” says Mitchell “is a form of communication.  I look for subject matter that motivates and invites.  My main objective is to take the ordinary and make is extraordinary using color coupled with the talent God allotted me.” A self-taught artist, Mitchell is adept at working in a variety of art mediums (oil, acrylic, pastel, mixed media).  Mitchell says, “My work in acrylic prevails while my work in oils constantly lingers in my mind.” As a founding member of OOPS (Onslow Outdoor Painters Society), I exchange creative energy with fellow artists just as the old masters did during the impressionistic movement.  The freedom of artistic expression abounds! You can view Mitchell’s works at: Tidewater Gallery, Swansboro,  NC; rt Works Gallery, New Bern, NC; Jacksonville-Onslow Council for the Arts; Lenoir Co. Arts Council, Kinston NC;  One piece (Pre-Teen Dream) is in a permanent collection with UNC-W, Randall Library, Wilmington NC.